Sunday, October 12, 2008

Van Gogh at the Modern

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/09/19/arts/0919-GOGH_index.html


The Museum of Modern Art’s exhibit, “Van Gogh and the Colors of the Night,” includes “Starry Night” and “The Potato Eaters.”


Van Gogh and the Colors of the Night
September 21, 2008–January 5, 2009
Special Exhibitions Gallery, second floor
http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2008/vangoghnight/


"Starry Night over the Rhone,1888," is one of my favorite Van Gogh's paintings. In this painting, my favorite part is how he portrayed the lights reflecting on the surface of the river. Van Gogh left several firm and short strokes in yellow with lite orange. The reflections look glamorous and attractive. I have one copy, but It looks dull, and size is small. When I saw the real piece, I was astonished. Its color is much more rich and saturate. He applied many different blue colors, light blue, iron blue, gray blue...etc. The smooth blue gradation creates a consistent clear sky. In this painting, the stars are twinkling, and the light reflections are glittery. This painting remind me of being alone in the midnight, a feeling of peace and quiet.

1 comment:

Cipher said...

I like Van Gogh's pieces, too. He makes paint look like vivid. I hope I could have chance to see this master pieces in person.