Sunday, October 5, 2008

Closer to Mainstream, Still a Bit Rebellious

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/02/arts/design/02fair.html?ref=design


Being called a sellout can hurt. Still, he’s not bitter. “I hated being under anyone’s thumb when I was younger and now I’m not, through my art,” he said in an earlier interview at the Obey headquarters in the Echo Park section of Los Angeles. As he signed 450 of his Billy Idol posters, he added, “This ability to make things creatively on my own terms that then found an audience and sold — I’ve sort of made my dream come true.”


I feel that we love some artist's works which are rare or small amount . Once they are accepted by most of people, we discard then. We ten to show our differences or uniqueness by using all kind of methods: clothe, images, music, movies. We tell people what we like and what we appreciate. Those things are mostly rare in order to express our prominent taste. But, sometimes, I wonder we may just want to differentiate ourself from other, so that we don't go with the mainstream.

No comments: