Monday, September 22, 2008

Real Work, by Mark Moskovitz



"have lost a meaningful connection to genuine exertion in their daily routine."


"This shift has drained the integrity from our exercise resulting in the simulation based gym phenomenon. The noble desire to eschew idleness has ironically created a machine that goes nowhere and does nothing; on but idling--humming to the arrhythmic tune of isolated beats in isolated headphones. Exercise does have a significant intrinsic value, but we've reinvented, re-valued, and recently re-wired it (think Wii) not as a by-product of an honest gesture, but as a simulation based currency. In the process, we're losing the concrete skills associated with that labor that fulfills our spirit and beautifies our surroundings."

~Mark Moskovitz




It's not really a serious problem for me be in New York City. Some of the American may need to work out in gym to I do a lot of labor action every day: walk, carrying heavy things. In my whole life, I have never walked so much. In Tiawan, almost every family has at least one scooter. I used to ride scooter everyday. No matter where I went I rode my scooter. Since I came to New York City, I have to even wash my clothe by hand. It couldn't happened on me.

No comments: